Connecticut State Missionary Baptist Convention
Rev. Dr. Lindsay Curtis, President
Rev. Dr. David L. Massey, Vice-President at Large
Boise Kimber Christian Leadership School
Rev. Dr. Jeff Powell, President Congress of Christian Education
Sister Judith Snell, State Director
Deacon Marge Wright, Dean
Sister Carolyn Sears, Assistant Dean
The CSMBC, Christian Leadership School is a division of the National Baptist Convention, USA, Inc. Christian Education Ministry and a collaborative work of the National Congress of Education, the American Baptist College, and the Division of Christian Education of the Sunday School Publishing Board. In addition, the SSPB has the responsibility for oversight of the CLS.
That responsibility includes:
>Accrediting the School
>Certifying instructors to teach in the CLS
>Formulating policies and procedures governing the Christian Education Program
The Certificate of Progress Program (COPP)
This program was organized at the SSPB in 1937 and is designed to produce qualified church leaders that will lead church members into the 21 century. This is a four year program that is implemented in four phases. Upon completion of Phase 1, 2, 3, students will receive a Certificate of Progress for each phase. A Christian Education Diploma will be awarded upon completion of Phase 4. The objective of the COPP and the CSMBC CLS are to:
>Increase biblical knowledge
>Create a better understanding of the Baptist Church
>Provide educational structure that will develop candidates
Qualified for teaching and leadership positions
>Produce trained church leaders
>Prepare for Christian Service
Student of the CLS (COPP) requirements:
Admissions & Registration:
- All students must complete and submit a Form 12-Admissions Application for this program, along with your student registration form and NON-Refundable registration fees.
- The participant must subscribe to the Christian Education Informer (a fee of $30 per year) – a Christian Education Journal published quarterly by the Sunday School Publishing Board.
Tuition & Late Fees:
- Tuition fees are $165.00 per semester for an annual total of $330.00 which is due by November, 2016 for the fall semester and by February, 2017 for the spring semester. Any fees paid after the due dates will result in a late fee of an additional $50.00 per semester.
Course Cards, Certificates & Diplomas:
- Students will receive course cards at the end of the semester for all completed courses, provided that all financial obligations have been met. Phase I, Phase II and Phase III students will receive a Certificate of Progress in May at the annual Commencement Service, provided all financial and required writing assignments have been completed. Phase IV students will receive a Diploma of Christian Education upon completion of requirements. Any lost or misplaced course cards will be charged a $2.00 replacement/duplication fee.
- Phase II – “Salvation Through Jesus Christ” – This paper should be at least two typed, double-spaced pages.
Phase III – “Contemporary Issues Affecting the Church” – This paper must be at least five to seven typed, double-spaced pages.
Phase IV – “The Role of Christian Education in the Local Church” – This paper must be at least five to seven typed, double-spaced pages. Provide at least five to eight different references.
**All writing assignments are due no later than March 1, 2017**
Attendance & Tardiness
- All students are required to attend class on both days; Friday 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. and on Saturday 8:30 a.m. until 1:30 p.m. Extreme tardiness will not be tolerated. Extenuating circumstances, please confer with the Dean. At no time will a paper be acceptable for missing class; you must be present to receive proper credit.
Caps & Gowns:
- Phase I, Phase II and Phase III students will wear black and their appropriate class scarf for commencement service. Only Phase IV graduating students will required to purchase caps and gowns.
>Scarfs - $25.00
>Cap & Gown $75
**Orders will be taken in March 2017**
Please take note:
On Saturdays there will be one 15 minute break and an half hour lunch break. You are responsible for your own lunch.
Any and all questions regarding your participation in the Christian Leadership School should be directed to:
Dean, Marge Wright
Director, Judith Snell
***We will do most of our correspondence by email and/or text (updates, cancellations, class changes, etc.) Please check your email!!! It is the student’s responsibility to inform the CLS team of any email changes or update of any kind***